TOPIC: Home theatre, multi media thread

Home theatre, multi media thread 6 years 9 months ago #8570

• F19_lacrits
So now I'm sucked in to the wonderful(ly confusing) world of multimedia and high definition.. I went and got another flat screen TV, a 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40EX503. This is now a full HD whereas my previous living room TV, a Panasonic 32", was "only" HD ready (whatever that means as it still supports 1080p?). The Panasonic is demoted to bed room TV now.. and hooked up to my PC. Still need to get another subscription for cable TV so I can watch normal shows on the Panasonic.
The Sony had some new features which caught my interest; an ethernet connection and a USB port supporting WiFi dongle. Unfortunately the WiFi dongle has to be a Sony product as it probably only supports that equipment (ala Apple tactics). So I got it hooked up with WiFi to the ethernet and managed to get "online" with the TV.. There are some specific Bravia internet features which were fun for about 30 min.. Most fun was to watch some SvAF big wing youtube clips directly on the TV. But it’s a mission to input text via the TV remote control!!! 
However, so I’m playing around a bit and now realize I want to watch full HD content on the Sony Bravia. The USB port only accepts FAT32 formatted drives (USB flash or HD), which limits file size to 4GB.. So no full HD movies will play over this TV USB interface. I’m thinking of setting up something like a media center on my home PC and stream over the home LAN.. or get a good modern blueray player with extended features, they seem to be almost like a full media center already with the added features..
So, I’m really interested in getting some tips on what is the best investment to be able to fully enjoy my new Sony Bravia flat screen.. ? And also opportunity to share experience and solutions in regards to home media..

:D

But mum.. Please!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Home theatre, multi media thread 6 years 8 months ago #8652

• F19_lacrits
Still haven't decided on a BlueRay player.. There are some interesting ones at around the 1000SEK mark, but I'm looking for the "REA" device to pop up at about half price. Important is that the USB port is 2.0 so it supports NTFS formatted memorysticks and USB harddrives.. and support so I can play MKV files (1080p) straight off that USB port.

In the mean time I though I'd try out DLNA, this is a standard for sharing/streaming media files between DLNA-certified devices (TV, media center, DVD/BD drives etc.) over network (In my case the home wifi network). So I read through a quick guide and enabled DLNA on my PC.. and voila, now I can stream videos, music and view the pics from my PC to the TV.. really neat and it was surprisingly easy to setup! :D

But mum.. Please!
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by F19_lacrits.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds