TOPIC: New monitor

New monitor 6 years 7 months ago #8928

• F16_Rider
I've been thinking about getting a new monitor. I currently have a cheap 20" Samsung TN monitor. Although a two year old design I'm leaning towards a 24", the Dell UltraSharp U2410, which is an IPS monitor. It's a bit pricey, around 4.300:- but it has mostly got excellent reviews, both regarding gaming and general image and colour quality.
Any thoughts?
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by F16_Rider.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New monitor 6 years 7 months ago #8929

• F19_Klunk
60Hz?

If not check out Benq's 120Hz 24"

I've read the the IPS monitors have great viewing angles and such but honestly, how often do u look at the monitor NOT in 90 degrees angle?..
ID #4
"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because? It's obscene!"
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by F19_Klunk.

Re: New monitor 6 years 7 months ago #8930

• digix
Oh my, this could be a looong post... :(

My previous monitor was a big fat 21" CRT. I was quite happy with it. I did NOT like any of the flat lcd monitors I had ever looked at.
And then my precious CRT broke. So I had to look for some lcd. Then I got some hint somewhere about something called IPS monitors (yes, they are also a typ of lcd). Everyone was praising ips monitors it seemed.. so I spent around 5000 SEK for a 24" 16:10 1920x1200 IPS. model HP LP2475w. I read that the Dell U2410 is quite similar.
And wow.. this really is something different than any other lcd monitor I have ever looked at. The sharpness. The colors. I love this monitor. To me, general TN-type lcd looks grey-ish.. like a kind of fuzz around the pixels (!?). Really, TN-screens have always looked WRONG to me ;)

Now.. gaming.
I dont know really if this monitor is the best for gaming.. cant really tell, honestly. But I guess that a) It looks prettier b) It should be easier to spot planes when they show up as a single pixel far far away.. perhaps (?)

This particular monitor (like the Dell U2410 I think?) has just plain same old backlighting as any other cheap tn-type monitor. LED backlighting is probably better i guess. It's just that two years ago prices for monitors with IPS+LED were horrible, so it wasn't really an option. But i hear that nowadays you can find monitors with IPS+LED at decent prices...

(phew)

Re: New monitor 6 years 7 months ago #8931

• F19_lacrits
The only upper hand a TN monitor has over IPS is the response time. In all other aspects the IPS is better (provided the design and electronics is well done). For 3D I think you only can get them on TN, no IPS.
Question is the resolution you want.. Are you happy with 1080p or you want more then you pay alot more too..!
I was close to buying the Dell US U2311H, but ended up getting an Asus TN instead. I'm not disapointed, my eyes don't know the difference..

But mum.. Please!

Re: New monitor 6 years 6 months ago #8940

• F16_Rider
Thanks for the replys! The best choice gaming-wise would be a 120Hz TN monitor, but i really wanted an IPS so I went for the new, cheaper Dell U2412M. It's not particularly good at anything but it also doesn't suck at anything :D
I've tried it in Fallout New Vegas and IL2 so far and its behaviour isn't worse than my old Samsung, and the image quality is definitely a lot better!
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds